October is National Chili Month!
Stay warm on those crisp fall nights with a bowl of chili. Try a new recipe like this nutritious slow cooker chicken chili:
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Chickpea Chili
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 7 hours
Total Time 7 hours 10 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 24 oz mild salsa verde (about 2 jars)*
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn (preferably organic)
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas (white beans or black beans are also great)
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add everything to a large slow cooker and stir well to combine.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Once done cooking, remove chicken with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board; shred chicken with two forks then transfer chicken back to slow cooker and stir.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking (I don’t find that adding either is necessary due to all the flavors happening). Serve with fresh cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips and Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Recipe obtained from https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/wprm_print/24576.