The option of keeping your loved one at home to age in place comes with much planning. One of the most important aspects of care to decide upon is who will help with the caregiving. Family members are faced with the decision of whether to hire a private caregiver, which can be less expensive, or hire a caregiver through a reputable company, such as Happier At Home. The items below ARE provided for by a companion care agency. The tradeoffs are not always worth the savings; so, educate yourself to make the best decision for you!
The following are considerations when hiring a private caregiver:
- Recruitment- What sources will you use? Internet, Ad placement
- Screening- How will you screen initially?
- Over the phone, what qualities are important?
- Drug screening
- Will need to give some information about your loved one to determine interest
- How will you check their criminal history?
- How will you check their driving history?
- How will you check their reliability and work history?
- Personal and Professional reference checks?
- How will you know if they do not have a communicable disease?
- Interview- You’ll need to develop questions to ask that will help identify qualities and characteristics that you are looking for in a caregiver.
- Training- You will be responsible for training
- Will you hire as a contractor/1099?
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Liability Insurance and Bonding
- What happens if he/she calls in sick? Will you have backup?