Living independently means maintaining the dignity and quality of life desired as we age. Meeting your needs so you are safe, healthy and happy while remaining living at home can become a challenge.
It’s important to understand the many resources available to seniors aging at home to ensure you meet your goals. In fact, there are programs and associations dedicated to helping seniors in every aspect of their lives, and in every state.
Here in Rochester, NY we have an abundance of resources to support us as we age; lists of these resources can be found on-line at sites such as:
- http://www.theelderpages.com which is a service of GRAPE, Greater Rochester Area Partnership for the Elderly
- New York Connects https://www.nyconnects.ny.gov administered by Lifespan.
How does one find them across the country. Here are ideas of where to start:
- County Office of the Aging/Area Agency on Aging https://aging.ny.gov/local-offices This is often the first place to start
- Home services resource
- Health insurance counseling
- Financial counseling
- Much, much more!
- Senior Centers
- Often provide meeting areas for Office of the Aging, so you can talk about multiple resources at once
- Offer many programs: transportation, wellness, social activities, educational programs, etc.
- Seniors Real Estate Specialists or SRES. List of those certified: www.seniorsrealestate.com
- Meals on Wheels https://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org
- US Department of Veteran Affairs https://www.va.gov/GERIATRICS/
- Home and community services, Residential settings and Nursing Homes
- Paying for long term care
- Caregiver support
- US Department of Health & Human Services listings for each state – https://www.hhs.gov/aging/state-resources/index.html