Studies have shown that you can help prevent cognitive decline and reduce the risk of dementia with some basic good health habits. Help maintain cognitive fitness, keep your mind active and stay mentally sharp in these ways:
- Never Stop Learning– Read books, learn a new language, pursue a new hobby, learn a new skill etc. Continuing to learn is essential to keeping your mind active.
- Mental Exercises– Crossword Puzzles, Sudoku, Jigsaw Puzzles etc. challenge your brain and increase brainpower
- Learn a New Word Everyday
- Take a New Route
- Teach Someone Something- Whether it is a recipe, an instrument, etc. teaching someone something helps you to reinforce your knowledge of it as well.
- Use Your Non-Dominant Hand– Brushing your teeth, brushing your hair, etc. are examples of the type of activities that you can use your non-dominant hand for. Just once a day, switch which hand you use.
- Eat Brain Boosting Foods– Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and low in saturated fat and sugar, can help protect brain networks.
- Exercise/Meditation Daily
Implementing a few of the suggestions above will help you or a senior loved one to stay mentally sharp.