The spring is known for rain showers in preparation for the blooms of flowers in the month of May. If you or your loved one is stuck inside on one of these spring showers, here are some ideas for fun indoor activities geared towards older adults:
- Play a game of chess. Board games are a great option for rainy days. Not only is chess a fun activity that can be done anywhere, but it has been shown that chess strengthens neural pathways and helps to improve the plasticity of elderly brains.
- Chair yoga. Just because it’s rainy outside doesn’t mean that you have to be sedentary! Improve flexibility and stiffness, lengthen muscles, and build strength with simple poses.
- Cook. Cooking is a healthy habit and uses your senses of smell and taste. Following recipes helps cognition.
- Complete a puzzle. Completing a puzzle can help a senior’s mind remain sharp and help slow progressive diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
- Read a book. Choose a classic book that your loved one knows from years ago, or participate in a book club.
- Watch a favorite movie. Create a theatre experience, make popcorn and dim the lights, and perhaps even have a theme to go along with the movie.
- Look at old pictures. This can trigger long-term memory and create feelings of happiness and nostalgia. This is especially beneficial for older adults with cognitive decline and memory loss, as it can prompt them to share a memory or experience from when they were younger.
Just because it’s a rainy day doesn’t mean there aren’t activities that your loved one can enjoy. Our Happier at Home caregivers can explore the above options for indoor activities and engage with your loved one.