In honor of National Diabetes Month, here’s a classic dessert recipe you can make for the Thanksgiving table without spiking your blood sugar.
Diabetic-Friendly Pumpkin Pie
yield: 6 TO 8
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 25 MINUTES
- 4 large eggs
- 1 28-ounce can of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup granulated stevia
- 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- pecan halves, for garnish
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a 10″ pie plate with the pie crusts. Crimp the edges.
- Whisk the eggs and the sugars together with a mixer for 1 minute, until it’s light and frothy. Add the pumpkin, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and salt, and continue mixing for one more minute. Add the milk and mix it until it’s *just* incorporated, about 30 seconds. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie plate.
- Bake the pie for 10 minutes at 400°F, then reduce the heat to 325°F and continue baking it for 1 hour (or until the middle is set and just a tiny bit jiggly).
- Remove the pie from the oven and garnish the outside of the pie with pecan halves.
YIELD: 8 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 308 TOTAL FAT: 15g SATURATED FAT: 5g TRANS FAT: 0g UNSATURATED FAT: 8g CHOLESTEROL: 96mg SODIUM: 301mg CARBOHYDRATES: 52g FIBER: 5g SUGAR: 12g PROTEIN: 8g
Recipe retrieved from: https://www.amusingfoodie.com/2013/11/diabetic-friendly-pumpkin-pie.html