A thorough home evaluation is a great way to prevent senior falls and serious injury. 70% of Accidental Deaths in people over the age of 75 result from falls. 40% of all nursing home admissions are attributable to repeated falls at home. 25% of seniors who suffer hip fractures die within one year.
Home Safety Checklist:
• Steep stairs
– Install lights and colored tape on each step to provide visual distinction between one step and the next
• Trouble reaching overhead?
– Bring commonly used things down to lower shelves
• Trouble getting in & out of the bathtub?
– Add grab bars to shower walls
– Use a bath chair & hand-held shower
– Low-clearance shower
– Use non-slip tub mats
• Trouble getting in and out of chairs?
– Select firm chairs with arms
• Throw rugs?
– Low pile and skid-free
– Tape or tack down edges
• Clutter in your walking space?
– Appropriate length oxygen tubing to avoid tripping
– Keep objects out of the way such as cords and clutter
· Dark hallways or stairwells?
– Increase the wattage of the bulbs
– Add automatic nightlights in bathrooms and hallways
– Add bright tape strips to the edge of each stair
– Keep extra light bulbs on hand
– Keep a charged flashlight near your bed
Contact your local Happier at Home to schedule a free home safety evaluation.