Often times families are aware that their loved one may need some extra help at home, but don’t act on it. Whether it’s due to denial, fear, or simply not knowing where to start, families that wait until a crisis occurs find themselves scrambling for help. Educating yourself about local options before the need arises will help to avoid making the wrong decisions. Have this important list of questions ready and compare which agency is right for you. Consider the reviews, how long they have been in business and if they are actually a legitimate business.
- What level of care does your company provide?
- What are your needs? Showering, toileting, driving?
- Licensed agency for hands-on care- cuing in shower vs. bathing the person
- Does your hourly cost include all the services?
- Be cautious of a lower cost and al la carte items
- Difference in weekends, nights?
- Do you have minimum shift requirements? Minimum required weekly hours?
- How have you screened your caregivers?
- Continuity of caregivers? Set schedule and time of shifts?
- Insured & Bonded?
- Drug screens & background checks?
- Reference checks?
- References from clients- Ask to speak with a former or current client’s family
Find a Happier at Home Location near you to help you with this process!